Friday 15 February 2013

Focus and Direction

WHAT A FEELING, DUN DUN DUN, WHAT A FEELING! (singing out loud to one’s self) I think from the song I am singing you can tell I’m in a good mood.
Today I met up with Maria for her 3-D surgery session (that’s just a fancy way of saying pattern cutting advice). She really helped me out with my project. I showed her what my project was about and where I was trying to take it. She understood me straight away (Thank God!) and suggested books and designers that I should have a look at. She went to her office to bring me half the library (okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration on my part, more like 6 or 7 books) for me to have a look through and photocopy pages that I liked. She gave me the sense of direction I needed when it came to my tailored pieces and about styling, models and photo-shoot.
I have always been interested in tailoring even in the 1st year of my BA course when I was doing women’s wear. So it was only right that I continue to develop my knowledge and skills in that area. So far, for part of my collection, I am looking to hopefully mix traditional tailoring i.e. Savile Row, modern tailoring i.e. Ozwald Boateng (love his colours). Even though I will be drawing inspiration from these designers I will be adding my own flavour and mix to these traditional pieces (tap dancing out of sheer excitement).
So after seeing Maria I went away feeling renewed and refreshed about my ideas and what research I had to do to give it ‘some legs to stand on’ because I couldn’t just make it up as I go along (sounds ridiculous but I’ve done it before). I have chosen two fabrics that I think could work with my designs but it all depends if they respond to the dye I plan to use.
So off I go to research and experiment. We also decided that I will pattern cut and make up a pair of trousers that I want to kick start off with.
I really want to get  most of my patterns and toiles made up because it helps me put together fabrics and colours easily when pairing what garments should go together.
Things are looking up for me. I always work better when I have a focus and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment