Wednesday 23 January 2013

Dip And Sponge

Slowly things are pulling together for my project. After the Christmas holiday, I really thought about what I wanted and what I needed to be done to achieve these goals.
On Wednesday I had a dye session with David, the dye technician. I was going to dye some knitted sampled pieces that I plan to use as part of my final collection.
I used the dylon dye (as they are really good for wool fabrics), mixed with salt and water; heated them in the pans and began to dye away. Since I didn’t want my whole knitted fabric dyed, I dipped some fabric in the dye and sponged on the colour where I wanted it.
Even though I didn’t get the right colours (mixing dye colours can be such an art at times)I got the effect that I wanted because I had knitted an image and chose to use black, light grey and off white yarns, the dye colours really showed up on the sample. It also gave the image a 3-d effect which I loved (it’s so weird I am getting excited just writing about this, how sad!) Finally something is going right. So once I finished adding the dye on I waited for the samples to dry, then took them to the dye technician to steam them.
The next day I collected the samples and took them home to be washed, hoping and praying the colours will stay (please Jesus). But the annoying thing, once the samples were out the washing machine most of the colours had washed off and only light traces of colour could be seen on some parts. This didn’t discourage me, it just made me realise that I might have to find a different method to dyeing this fabric.
For my final piece I have decided to use one wool yarn and two cotton yarns, hopefully when the sample is washed the wool yarn will felt a bit giving the sample some form of texture. Also the dyes might respond better to these yarns. If all does not go to plan, I might end up using the reactive dyes to paint on the sample.
But overall I feel good about my project and no matter how many hurdles I might have to jump over, whether they’re  big or small, I know my final collection will be BANGING!
*Electric slides out the room*
Hre are a few images:





No comments:

Post a Comment