Monday 14 January 2013

Practice make you perfect but in my case better!

I always say I HATE TO DRAW! It’s not that I totally despise drawing, it’s just that I don’t think I’m that good at it. But today we had a workshop where (you guessed it) we had to draw for 3 hours!!!! I was quite nervous and a bit insecure about my drawing skills, so after sulking for the first 20mins of the session, I realised that I actually needed this to build my confidence in my drawing ability. Going through my sketchbook, I saw that there was quite a few blank pages where I had planned to sketch some designs but they had been blank for months. Even though I do have design ideas I have been afraid to draw them down thinking that they will look really bad and not reflect my design the way I saw it in my mind.
That’s why I think I enjoy doing toiles because it shows  you exactly what the garment will look like, what the proportion will look like on the body and the movement of the garment.
Once I got drawing the final images, it did not come out too badly.  I actually liked them and on the plus side it gave me extra confidence that with a bit of practice I could be quite decent.
As my parents always say, practice make you perfect but in my case it made me better.
Here are a few images that I drew in the session:






No comments:

Post a Comment