Friday 22 February 2013

Drape to Create

Today was very interesting as we had a draping workshop with Robin Kerr, a design lecturer. We had to drape on mannequins using calico. He gave us some words such as volume, linear and organic; from these words we had to interpret  our own understanding of the word by draping on the stand.
I really enjoyed this exercise as it gave me a chance to be creative in a three dimensional way instead of making two dimensional  patterns then sewing them together to see how they would look. Another advantage from draping that I could see how my garment might look on the human body instantly and this gave me the chance to change parts that I thought  would not work. After draping on the stand I could extract parts that I really liked and begin to sketch out different garments using that section.
From this class, I decided  to continue to use this method of design and see what other silhouettes I could come up with to incorporate into my design work. This time I plan to drape  using a male mannequin to see what I can come up with. I might use jersey as the main fabric to drape instead of calico as this will help me understand the movement of a knit fabric.






No comments:

Post a Comment