Tuesday 19 February 2013

Attack of Social Media

Since I started this MA I have done so many things I said I would never do, and from the way things are looking, the list will only continue to grow( shakes one’s head).
Today jewellery designer Maddy Moaxson (ex- MA student) came to give us a talk about how she started her business. This was very interesting for me as that is what I aspire to do one day soon and per usual the dreaded topic of social media had to come up. She spoke about the pros of social media sites such as twitter, instagram and pinterest. Oh yeah Facebook got a quick mention too ( we all know that’s kind of dying down now). I do agree with the points she made and as the world develops social media (I hate to say this ) will only grow stronger as we have become a people of technology (maybe this faze might die down, we never know). It is a quick and easy way to get yourself heard, seen and most of all your in control of how you present your brand and yourself (sometimes) which is another pro.
I think the reason I’m not really a fan of creating multiple social networks is because I hate to put myself out there unnecessarily, and keeping up with everything could be quite difficult but sadly I know I am going to have to join the ‘media gang’. Plus I already know I’m going to look like a sell-out to all my friends and family as I’ve always been rather vocal about this topic (laughing out loud, I can just see their smug ‘I told you so’ faces). Oh well some things have just got to be done and social media is one of them.
When I comes to small independent labels I really respect them as I have seen how hard it can be doing most (practically all) of the work yourself and if lucky might get some interns that know what they are doing and help you out. It is really hard work starting a label but the reward at the end is far greater .
Can’t wait for this journey one day!
Here is a link to Maddy's website hope you enjoy and buy:
http://www.moxhamstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment