Friday 10 May 2013

The Launch: The Unfinished Conversation: John Akomfrah

Today was very fun and educating, I am really happy that I went to the event. It gave me a personal insight on Stuart Hall’s life in Jamaica and then his life in England; I loved this, as my project is about combining both cultures together. I also enjoyed the way the video was presented. They had three large T.V screens side by side. As Stuart Hall was talking (voice over) the screen was showing two different things. At first it was a bit overwhelming because, you wanted to see everything that was happening. At times you could only focus on one screen, so I had to watch it twice to really capture everything that was happening.
At the event there were a lot of people from all different parts of the arts, which was interesting.
At 7 pm there was an hour seminar with the man himself John Akomfrah: he is an artist, film director, screen writer and founding member of black Audio Film collective. So as you can see, he is well established in his field.
Watching John talk about his work and his interest in the black culture, made me think about my own work and the reasons behind my project.
I loved his video that he showed us, it was so good. It was raw and had so much meaning to it. If I do decided to go ahead with the mini commercial/video idea, because of his talk, I have a few new ideas.

Here is a video from his talk. Hope you enjoy!!


4http://vimeo.com/59479574






No comments:

Post a Comment