Friday 15 March 2013

Maggot Day


Today I had a CAD knitting session with Simon and I was ecstatic at the results.
After clearing  my mind and choosing elements of my work to concentrate on and push the idea to its limit, I decided that today will be maggot day. I know that sounds pretty weird and to some extent ridiculous, but today was literally maggot day. No it does not involve real maggots but the whole CAD session was aimed at  trying to recreate the appearance of Maggots using knitted fabric. Looking back at my previous samples, I realised that I needed a much heavier weight fabric, this might make it look more masculine and also more cosy for winter.
I managed to Google maggots and without throwing up or continuously itching myself, looked at their shapes and sizes (just thinking about them makes me cringe). After seeing this, I drew my own interpretation of them on the CAD machine to knit as a jacquard blister, once this was stored in the program we began to knit away .
We tried different tensions, yarns and elastic - each sample gave a different effect which was interesting. Also, some came out good while others didn’t quite hit the mark.
I am going to continue exploring this maggot idea trying different yarns to see what I can achieve. I think out of my knit samples, the maggots are my favourite because of the textures I get, and depending what yarns I use they look so real at times.
 
Here are a few of the samples






No comments:

Post a Comment