Sunday 4 November 2012

Turning BAD into GOOD!


When doing research for my project, I came across a guy called Enrico Stennett , he was a passenger on the Windrush at the age of 19. His story moved me but in a weird way I was also inspired to what I could create using his story. I thought that maybe I could use his story  as the foundation of my project. I wanted to create maggot like textures and when he talked about the maggots eating through his vest, I thought of lace holes which reminded me of the string vest. From there I started by drawing a maggot patterns on the CAD machine, the knitting it. My first sample didn’t come out the way I wanted, it had no texture, so I knitted it again but this time replacing one of the yarns with elastic. Once steamed I got some form of texture which I quite happy with the second sample. I further developed it by making the pattern bigger. I got much bigger maggots (which I didn’t mind) but the elastic was too visible which I didn’t like (third sample). Next time I am going to try a chunkier weight yarn and see how this effects the pattern. Also I think the chunkier yarn could look rather interesting and a bit more masculine. We’ll see what happens.


 Sample 1
 Sample 2
Sample 3
                            I love this beaded skirt by Omer Asim, it remindes me of maggots.(LFW2012)












No comments:

Post a Comment